Ezra Taft Benson -

As a watchman on the tower, I feel to warn you that one of the chief means of misleading our youth and destroying the family unit is our educational institutions. President Joseph F. Smith referred to false educational ideas as one of the three threatening dangers among our Church members.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

You big bully!


This use to be an insult. Now a days it seems to be a badge kids like to wear, all in the name of fun or being funny.

I have been struggling with this since I started having kids. At first I listened to everyone who old me "oh, that's kids. They need to toughen up and get use to it". Now that my kids are older I still struggle with them "needing" to "get use to it". As an adult I don't see the value in putting up with bad behavior.

I see it in kids and adults. Most of the time it an attempt to be funny or impress those around them. They are feeling insecure and come up with something to make fun of to blow off steam. Today society tells us we need to understand and recognize their acts as acts of insecurity. Where are the days of recognizing it as WRONG?

Instead of teaching our kids to understand it and put up with it, why aren't we teaching kids it is wrong and to express themselves in a more appropriate manner?

I am struggling with this issue. I am trying to teach my kids that teasing isn't funny. But they are bombarded with it everyday. And I homeschool. I can only imagine what other kids have to put up with.

Instead of telling everyone "deal with it", how about teaching kids how to behave properly? I see it as just getting worse if we keep ignoring it and accepting it.

Who is with me? Who is with me in standing for the right?

Jesus himself got mad at the money changers. At that time it was what everyone was doing. Should they have ignored it? Should we be appalled at Jesus for being upset at the behavior? No, we should take his example and stand up and not accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

viewers