Ezra Taft Benson -

As a watchman on the tower, I feel to warn you that one of the chief means of misleading our youth and destroying the family unit is our educational institutions. President Joseph F. Smith referred to false educational ideas as one of the three threatening dangers among our Church members.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Another great debate

Recently there was a great debate on a group I follow about whether or not you are a true homeschooler if you participate in State funded programs. This really got me thinking about what my strong views are and why I have them.

First I want to state that I believe any program the State is willing to allow Homeschoolers to participate in is a win win. For so long we have been excluded from activities in the school district for various reasons. I really don't buy into the belief or feeling that government money is evil. What I do think is that this is a greater move towards Choice in Education, and that is a wonderful thing. Parents are responsible for the up bringing of their children. They should have the choice in how they educate them as well.

Every year I end up choosing something different. One year we didn't participate in anything. Not even a coop. Another year we used K12 through the local school district. Another year we did k12 and a local coop. This year the kids really wanted to take music and art so we are signing up for a few classes at a local charter school.

I still consider myself a homeschooling mom. All of our core classes are taught at home. 4 days out of 5 we are at home. I am the one choosing the kids curriculum and what they are exposed to. Yes I am going to use the state's money to pay for curriculum. After all I do pay taxes. I look at it in the view that I am getting MY money back. Not TAKING it from the state.

I am really excited to see more choices in educating our children. This is a great opportunity for those interested. I hope and pray for more choices for parents.

7 comments:

  1. it is interesting to see all the different opinions on that subject. what is most interesting to me is the strong opinions so many people do have. it seems highly charged for some reason. why is this? in fact, why are so many subjects charged with strong emotion and a sense of right vs. wrong? i guess i know the answer to that because the answer is in the question. i am trying to relax in my life and not be so opinionated. but on the flip side to that...aren't we supposed to stand for what we believe in? or is that just gospel stuff? how does it all tie in? sorry...i am just thinking out loud. my kids are all full time in a charter school down here. but, for some reason, i still consider myself to be a 'homeschooler at heart'. i guess because i do believe in the choice to do what i want when i want. and i like that. i like the freedom to choose. what i don't like is the feeling that i am being thought of in a negative light by either the traditional homeschooler or the public school "i could never home school" moms. but that is just life i guess. we are all just trying to learn and grow. this is way too long. i have babbled!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. For me it is about having the choice. For some one way works, and others another way. I wonder, too, why there is so much arguing. Well no I don't. Everyone needs their decisions justified. Seeing someone else doing it differently and succeeding makes people uncomfortable with their decisions, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, i guess that is true...but that is pretty insecure. of course, i have been very insecure at times and still am with some things...

    well. food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you nailed it Misty. Turning so many things into a right vs wrong issue is probably why things get so charged. Maybe when something feels so wrong or right for us we are tempted to try and impose the view on others? Not sure. When you take things down to the very basics, we're all very much alike, in public school or out. No matter our choices, we're all trying to do what we can in our role as mother.

    Teresa, what do you recommend for the Sequential Spelling program? I see that you can just buy a work book or you can buy a student response book and teacher guide and even a DVD. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Misty...I love ya! Wish you were around. It's about having choice. So many people don't get to choose. I feel blessed to what I think is best for us.

    Amber...we have only bought the workbook. We just get a notebook and make it our student response book. I didn't get the teacher guide because I just never do. For the first book I really didn't need it but I think I will get it for the second book so I have more example sentences to us the words in, and help with homophones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops posting while logged on as my daughter. Sorry

    ReplyDelete
  7. and here i thought SHELBY loved me!!! lol!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

viewers