Ezra Taft Benson -

As a watchman on the tower, I feel to warn you that one of the chief means of misleading our youth and destroying the family unit is our educational institutions. President Joseph F. Smith referred to false educational ideas as one of the three threatening dangers among our Church members.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Coop or not?


I have been homeschooling for 9 years now. It started because I strongly disagreed with what was being presented to my 5/6 year old in Kindergarten. I spent 6 long months praying for a better choice for my daughter. The answer was to keep her at home. My very supportive husband said "Sure, we can always send her back if it doesn't work out". Now his views are "there is no way we'll ever send them to public schools".

I was nervous our first couple of years. Could I do this on my own? Were they going to have any friends? You could probably add a lot more questions that ran through our heads. We thought them all.

A friend told me about a Co-op. What's that? It is where two or more families get together and share teaching. I hate teaching Art. So we have always looked for classes or co-ops for this subject. We have found co-ops at a local church, at charter schools, at other homeschooler's homes, paid for classes, etc.

There are many benefits to co-ops. One being that you get great classes in subject areas you aren't comfortable teaching. It is also a great place to meet different people and maybe make a friend or two.

Co-oping subjects has many benefits. One I like the most is getting to do field trips with other kids. This past week we went to Heber City, Utah and road the Heber Creeper and learned about the railroad. It was a lot of fun for the kids because they met familiar faces there. Sitting on the train with just mom might not have been as much fun as riding with friends and joking around.

How do you find Homeschool groups? I love to google. When we move to new place I google Homeschool groups in (name of town/area). There will usually be a half dozen or so.

As time went on I got braver and hosted classes at my house. This past year we had a great time with Astronomy and we just finished a class on Water Colors where I had a local artist come and teach the kids. We had 7 other kids come and join us.

The great thing about homeschooling is that you are in charge and control of what your child is learning. The possibilities are endless. No one to tell you your child isn't old enough, or your child isn't good enough, or to measure your child by an arbitrary measuring stick.

I say Co-op when you can find a class your child has interests in.

Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment

viewers