Ezra Taft Benson -

As a watchman on the tower, I feel to warn you that one of the chief means of misleading our youth and destroying the family unit is our educational institutions. President Joseph F. Smith referred to false educational ideas as one of the three threatening dangers among our Church members.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

I'm good at worrying!

Wow! What a journey this year has been. This time last year I was so stressed about starting High School with my oldest daughter. So many choices. Had I prepared her well enough? What about my other two? Would we stick with what we were doing or change it up a bit?

Our first year of High School (yes OUR first year. Any mom knows she experiences everything her children do)was a huge success. DH is brillant. ( I already knew that). She will end this year with a 3.5 GPA. It was so nice to see her do so well and enjoy it. (Well except that darn Geometry class. There is always one class you just hope to pass!).

I knew she could. It was myself I doubted. Had we done enough to prepare? Had I covered all I should have? Those oh so familiar questions we homeschool moms ask ourselves. There are so many doubters out there questioning us all the time that got me to doubt. I needed to trust my instincts, trust the Lord, and know that it all is okay in the end.

This year I decided to not teach at a coop but have classes here at my house. It was wonderful. I worried again. Would anyone sign up? Would I do a good job? Would my kids enjoy it?

Our Astronomy class was so wonderful we plan to do another science class in the fall and study Oceanography. We had wonderful new friends join us. We had fun doing reports and experiments. We ended up looking forward to it ever week. We took the most wonderful field trips this year. The Antelope Island trip showed me just how smart my kids really are. They asked the most amazing questions, and showed genuine interest in what was being taught.

I am doing alright with them. They will succeed after all.

What about that "social" question? Well, I would have to say my children are very grounded and know exactly who they are. When others around them are making questionable choices they stand up for what is right, or simply walk away. They are the leaders of the gang in the neighborhood. And they are friends with many different people from many different walks of life. And they are each others best friends. Interpret that, or spin that however you like. I think they are doing great!

They will succeed after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

viewers