Ezra Taft Benson -

As a watchman on the tower, I feel to warn you that one of the chief means of misleading our youth and destroying the family unit is our educational institutions. President Joseph F. Smith referred to false educational ideas as one of the three threatening dangers among our Church members.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

As the World Turns

No, I am not going to post about a soap opera. But my life right now would make some great writing material.

Our family has had a rough summer. We have been left feeling very alone. I won't go into details. If you want give me a call I'd love to go on and on about everything. It might help knowing someone cared.

What I did want to write about was what we are learning from it all. When you are going through hard times it is not so easy to see any good. When I was younger I quickly would ask God why he was doing this to me. But I know now he isn't doing anything to me. He is there helping me get through. Other people in our lives have their free agency to choose. They get to choose how they act, how they treat others, how they deal with hard times in their lives, etc. Sometimes their choices have negative effects on our lives. Sometimes they don't mean their choices to effect anyone else. Other times they are hurt, lonely themselves, looking for attention, etc and are lashing out at whomever is there.

“If you will call your troubles experiences, and remember that every experience develops some latent force within you, you will grow vigorous and happy, however adverse your circumstances may seem to be".

I have a quote plaque in my room. It reads "Enjoy the journey". Sometimes the journey is rocky with steep mountains to climb. I pray Heavenly Father continues to push me up the mountain, and shows me paths around the rocks and thorns.

A long talk with my daughter last night probably helped me more than it helped her. As I was giving her advice on concentrating on the positive things in her life and not letting the negative things weigh her down, a light bulb went on. "Good advice Teresa". "Now follow it".

Onward and upward. Those who are worth having in our lives will seek us out and uplift us, not tear us down.

Our family relies a lot on the story of Job in the scriptures. We tell ourselves, we can "bare all things". "This to shall pass".

Thine adversity shall be but a small moment, D&C 121: 7-8. All these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good, D&C 122: 5-8. They taste the bitter, that they may know to prize the good, Moses 6: 55.

xxxxooooo

4 comments:

  1. well, i am VERY sorry that you are having a hard summer! i loved reading this post though...it has a very positive strong energy to it. it makes me want to do better! thank you for that.

    i hope you are doing okay. i would love to call you! i don't talk on the phone often, but every once in a while...a phone call is just the thing! maybe i'll get on fb and send you mine and then you can call if you want to vent! i would love to hear your voice sista'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have missed you at park day!! Come and we can talk. I always feel better after chatting with other women who understand what I'm going through.

    Love ya,
    Mary Liechty

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just tried to call and didn't get a message machine to leave a message. Call anytime! I would love to hear from you! It's so nice outside, we could always go for a walk. I'll try calling you again.

    ReplyDelete

viewers