Ezra Taft Benson -

As a watchman on the tower, I feel to warn you that one of the chief means of misleading our youth and destroying the family unit is our educational institutions. President Joseph F. Smith referred to false educational ideas as one of the three threatening dangers among our Church members.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Raising boys to serve missions


I heard a shocking number the other day. It pertained to the number of young men serving missions in our stake. 3 out of 60. Yeah I almost fell on the floor, too.

How can we help these young men become active again, is the question circulating throughout the church. I think we are forgetting to teach the primary kids that "holding the priesthood comes with the obligation for young men to carry the message of the Restoration to the world. "

Attitude is the key. Young people need to commit themselves early in life to the idea of a mission. That way, when they get older and begin to face some of the world’s temptations, those temptations will be less likely to penetrate their hearts or minds. They will resist the temptations because they are focused on becoming a servant of the Lord. It helps if they live in a gospel-sharing home. A missionary spirit is generated in a home where parents and children share the gospel with one another. I also recommend that youth study and follow the guidelines in For the Strength of Youth. Missionaries need to be morally clean and spiritually ready. If they live the principles in For the Strength of Youth, they will be spiritually prepared to be great missionaries. - M. Russell Ballard

I remember about 10 years ago the church leaders "Raised the bar" for the youth. Requirements to serve missions was also raised. It isn't enough to just attend church on Sunday and YM/YW during the week. These meetings are great and should be attended regularly, however, work on their own needs to be done. Living cleanly isn't a casual thing. It needs to be the most important. I really love Elder Ballards comment that "They need to avoid the mischief of the world."

I have heard adults give talks in church where they have said "It was alright that I didn't serve a mission because I got married". That is fine for them but that doesn't need to be taught from the pulpit that to forget serving a mission. Instead get married. I have also heard talks about parents who knew their kids were into "mischief". Yet, nothing was really done about it. The kids were still permitted to run around with the same kids they were getting in trouble with. Later, when serious offenses were committed they prayed to the Lord that he help their children return to the gospel.

I would like to share my story here of bad friends in my earlier life. I had a particular friend in Jr. High who was continually pulling me in the wrong direction. My mom and dad decided what to do about it. I was no longer aloud to have anything to do with this individual. It was a struggle for them. I resisted. Hard. But in the end they saved me from a dark path. I didn't make that many new friends. They kept me busy with sports, my mom stayed home with me so I wasn't able to "run around", later I got a job, and I was expected to keep an early curfew.

My husband had a similar situation in High School. He made friends with the wrong crowd and was getting into trouble. The difference in his story is that he removed himself from the situation. He disassociated himself with the group. And because he had a bad reputation it was hard for him to make new friends. He didn't care. He decided to choice the right path. He served a mission in Uruguay.

Hard decisions and choices need to be made is some cases. Sacrifices will need to be made.

Around the world members are sacrificing much for their membership in the church. Family members disown them, employers dismiss them, they aren't getting promotions because they refuse to break the word of wisdom, just to name a few I am personally aware of with friends I have met.

During a Relief Society meeting a lesson on Sacrifice was taught and time seemed to be the one thing most people said they were sacrificing. I think we are missing out on teaching our kids what it is to really sacrifice here.

This to me is the reason so few young men are serving missions in our stake. They aren't asked or required by family or friends to sacrifice immediate "joy" in order to serve a mission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQIQA6s2_Hw

This is a great video.


1 comment:

  1. That is really scary that so few boys in our own backyard are choosing not to serve missions. Thanks for this post, it made me realize what I need to do as a parent of young boys.

    ReplyDelete

viewers