Ezra Taft Benson -

As a watchman on the tower, I feel to warn you that one of the chief means of misleading our youth and destroying the family unit is our educational institutions. President Joseph F. Smith referred to false educational ideas as one of the three threatening dangers among our Church members.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Raising Children - The great adventure!




Lately, I have heard other families ask "how do we spend so much time with our kids". Okay maybe that shouldn't be a direct quote. However, I do get people saying "I don't know how you do it". I translate it as the first quote.

A few Sundays ago at church they were discussing working on the girls Personal Progress in the Young Women Program. It is goals they set and work on from age 12-18. Shelby finished at 14. Taylor has 1/2 done at nearly 13. The girls got comments like "you are home all day. You have more time to do it." Which is funny. I'm not sure what they think we are doing all day. Our curriculum isn't just Personal Progress and we call it good. The kids do school work just like most kids. We have grammar, reading, typing, scripture study, math, writing, science, history, Shakespeare, book club, piano, violin, art...and other activities the kids decide to participate in. We also have swim team every day, baseball practice, cheer practice, scouts and YW to go to as well.

What the key is we make it a priority. Anyone can choose a day or night dedicated to working on their goals. Just like you dedicate time for homework or practice. That is what my girls do. Every week some designated time is spent on working on their Personal Progress goals.

Sports take up a majority of our time at night and on weekends. I hear people say "you shouldn't spend all your time away from the house". I wonder if they are trying to justify what they are doing. They say this and yet send their children away to be taught by strangers most of the day. I find the statement a little hypocritical.

We are at every practice and game/competition. We are there cheering them on, giving them encouragement, giving advice, etc. It is great time spent. My kids have great confidence in themselves. I have seen my daughter want to tumble and set out to learn. In 5 months time she went from just knowing how to do a standing backhandspring, to bounding across the floor at competitions doing multiple backhandsprings. She also learned to do an aerial and almost has a tuck. My second daughter started this swim season not doing the butterfly in swimming. At the final meet this year she won a metal in that event. She worked so hard. We are so proud of both. At home, I wouldn't have been able to teach them these skills.

My son wanted to be a pitcher in baseball. He has a rocket for an arm. He just needed to learn control. This winter he had the great privilege to work with Coach Noels from BYU baseball on his control. He has become a wonderful pitcher. In his first game this season he struck out 5 batters in 2 and 1/2 innings.

We love watching our kids progress in all they do. It is such a joy to see them grow. I truly love going to swimming, baseball and cheer, watching these wonderful kids progress. I love teaching them. Even the bad days I cherish. We learned it and experienced it together. No one else can say they know my kid better than I do. And they are growing up knowing they have us in their corner cheering them on in all they do.

Sure it takes up a lot of time. But what else would I be doing?

Here are a few of my favorite scriptures regarding our children

Psalm - Chapter 127:3

3. Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.


Proverbs 22:6

Train up a child in the way he should go: and
when he is old, he will not depart from it.


1 Timothy 3:4

One that ruleth well his own house, having his
children in subjection with all gravity; (For if a man know not
how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church
of God?)

Don't be afraid to try. Parents know what is best for their children. Know that you have the strength. Heavenly Father will help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

viewers